Ok guys, I apologize for the one photo, but I got a bunch of requests for this recipe when I posted it on Instagram that I just decided to share it ASAP.
I love this recipe because it’s clean and healthy, and I can eat it while on my wild rose detox.
It’s vegan, vegetarian and you can eat it as a meal in a bowl over a bed of rice or as a side with a protein like chicken breast or steak.
This chickpea smash is seriously my fave and I’ve been making it for years.
I typically don’t use salt when I’m on the cleanse, but the sweetness of the cooked onion gives it such a delicious flavor that you don’t need to rely on it.
Here are the ingredients:
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 14 fl oz can of organic chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 3 cups of spinach
- Red chilli flakes
- Black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Grapeseed oil
Here’s what to do:
- Heat up 3 tbsp of grapeseed oil until you can feel the heat holding you hand over the pan for 5 seconds
- Add the garlic and onions and sauté until slightly brown
- Rinse the chickpeas in water after opened and then add then to the pan
- Season with red chilli flakes, pepper to your taste
- Continue to stir the chickpeas with the onion/garlic mixture for a few minutes until they begin to get soft
- Start smashing the chickpea mixture with a fork or potato masher (you may need to add a bit more oil)
- Once the chickpeas are roughly mashed, add the spinach and stir
- Allow the spinach to wilt down in the mixture
- Add salt to taste and additional chilli flakes and pepper as desired
That’s all! It’s really simple and there is not a lot of prep.
Also if you’re looking to wow your friends as the hostess with the mostest, you can forego the spinach and use the chickpea mixture on top of a crostini.
Simply, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and a little sea salt to counter the sweetness of the onion for a savoury dinner party appetizer.